New: Athletics World Cup

11 March 2018

A new event is in the athletics calendar.

The Athletics World Cup.

If you know me, then you know I love Sport, but you also know I love my athletics. Whenever there is a meet I am usually watching it. I think I got my athletics bug from my Grandad and my Mother as I always remember them glued to the screen when the athletics was on, years on my mum is still the same and I am no different, but probably worse with the addition of the Internet and the red button.

There are so many athletics meet and the likes of the popular diamond league is constantly changing to meet the needs and demands of the athletes and the fans alike.





So here's the lowdown on the newest meet in town.

The Athletics World Cup will see 8 top athletics nations Compete to win prize money and the World Cup Champions Title.

The 8 nations are: Great Britain, United States of America,  South Africa, Poland, France, China, Germany and Jamaica.

One male and one female from each nation will compete in all field and track events up to 1500m

Dates: 14th and 15th July
Where: London

Side note: For the eagled eyed amongst you, yes, you have thought right, this is the same weekend as the Football World Cup Final and the Wimbledon Tennis Finals. So you know where you will find me that weekend. #WeekendOfSport  #PassTheSnacks

At the moment, this event is not known to be held annually. But there is scope for it to be held around the world hosted by the competing nations.

My thoughts: Yaaaaaaaas more athletics. Are there too many meets? As a fan, I don't think so. More athletics is a good thing in my opinion. This event will be 4 months after the World Championships; which is also being held in the UK in Birmingham. Athletes coming off the highs of a great world camps,  combined with athletes who didn't do as hoped and has some thing to prove, can only produce a great event. Hopefully there won't be too many world champs injuries, forcing many athletes and 'big names' to pull out.

In August, Chief executive of British Athletics announced 'The Meet' a GB vs USA one-day athletics competition in London in 2018. This event seems to have now been cancelled in favour for the Athletics World Cup.

Jasmine

x

Post a Comment